July 3: Port Arthur:



In May Port Arthur City Council had asked that the 141st Battalion from Fort Frances to train at Gresley Park, so that they could be closer to home for as long as possible.  The 141st took over all of the facilities in Fort William and Port Arthur that were vacated by the 94th when they left at the end of June.  The switch was meant to happen in one day.

The City Engineer confirms that water, electric light, and telephone service has been installed at Gresley Park for the use of the 141st Battalion, training there. Port Arthur City Council regularly provided these services free of charge for military purposes.

July 3: Port Arthur:



The first request for $25 to fund paper and envelopes for members of the 141st Battalion training at Gresley Park was made in June but the City Council wanted to wait until the Battalion were in place. Now that the Battalion were in situ, the request could be granted.


July 3: Port Arthur:


On May 29, Port Arthur City Council granted the Patriotic Fund’s request for $12,000 and had already issued them a cheque for $3000 on June 26, but evidently did not approve a by-law to borrow the necessary funds through debentures until July 3.  $12,000 in 1916 dollars is equivalent to almost $240,000 in today’s money.


July 17: Port Arthur:




Port Arthur routinely provided not only the military, but also other groups supporting the war effort, with utility services free of charge. Here they authorize providing “light and ‘phone” to the Recruiting Office of the 238th Battalion Foresters at 74 Cumberland S.  Electric light and telephone were also made available to the Y.M.C.A. facilities at Gresley Park. The Y.M.C.A. provided entertainment, educational, and support services to enlisted men, as well as providing services to those in internment camps.


July 25: Fort William:


Fort William City Council received a letter from the secretary of the Organization of Resources – Toronto asking that August 4th be observed as it is the 2nd anniversary of the start of the war.  A public celebration was held on August 4th, 1916, from the front steps of Central School.


July 25: Fort William:


July 31: Port Arthur:


Municipalities still send letters and petitions to each other to ask for support on the issues they are trying to put forward to the Federal or Provincial Governments.  In this case, Niagara Falls sent letters to both Fort William and Port Arthur to ask the Federal Government that “no more favourable terms or allowances be made to the officers, than to the privates,” when drafting the Pension Bill.  Fort William supported this measure and passed their resolution on to the Secretary of State in Ottawa.  Port Arthur did not discuss it until August 14, 1916, but came out in support as well.  Adequate pensions were necessary to the continued recruitment of soldiers for the war effort and to support the returning disabled veterans and the families of those who did not return.

July 31: Port Arthur:



$3000 had been issued to the Patriotic Fund in June, and Council passed a by-law approving issuing debentures to fund it on July 3.  The Patriotic Fund requested that the rest of the grant be provided to them and Port Arthur issued a second $3000 cheque. The Patriotic Fund provided financial relief to those affected by the war, particularly the dependents of men fighting overseas.


July 31: Port Arthur:



The policy for providing grants to former municipal employees enlisted overseas had been changed in March 1916. The policy for grants to soldiers had been to provide the difference in pay between the former employee’s regular salary and their military pay, up to $1000 per year, provided they had worked for the City for at least one year before enlisting. Under the new rules, married men would receive a one-time grant of $100 and single men a one-time grant of $50, all in all much more affordable for the City.  When the change came through in March, the City Clerk was instructed to write to those who had already made a claim but not yet been issued any funds and negotiate with them for a settlement.  Above is the final settlement of $150 for C. Chammings, who had already been deployed to France.

July 31: Port Arthur:


When municipal employees enlisted, they needed to resign from their position with the City.  In order to receive the grant, former employees had to provide a Certificate that they were in fact enlisted in a certain Battalion.  Such is the case for Police Court Clerk, H.E.A. Rogers, who would receive his cheque for $100 after providing the Certificate.

July 31: Port Arthur:



This is the final sign-off for lights to be provided by the City of Port Arthur for the 141st Battalion at Gresley Park after they had been officially authorized on July 3rd.