One cannot walk through Waverley Park without pausing for a moment and being moved by the memorial cenotaph. This impressive monument is stark and simplistic, but is also an exquisite tribute to those who gave their lives during the First World War. It was erected in 1925 by the McCallum Granite Company of Kingston, Ontario, through the efforts of the Women’s Canadian Club at a cost of $8,000. The inscription reads:
On September 15, 1925 a grand unveiling occurred, which brought the community together to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the Great War.