Port Arthur Wagon & Implements Ltd.
In 1912, Port Arthur Wagon & Implements Ltd., located on North Cumberland Street, began the manufacturing of farm wagons. Under the direction of company president D.C. Cameron, Port Arthur Wagon Works employed 200 people and could build up to 50 wagons per day.
Months after the Great War was officially declared, Port Arthur Wagon & Implements Ltd. secured a contract from the Canadian Government to build 85 specialty wagons to assist the 1st Contingent of Soldiers, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF). The wagons were designed to carry much greater loads and would need to drawn by four horses. On October 1, 1914, (three days after obtaining the contract) the company shipped out their first military wagon to Val Cartier, Quebec where it would then be sent overseas to Europe. To reach their goal in timely manner the company hired 50 extra employees.
With the first order completed, Port Arthur Wagon & Implements Ltd. received a second order from the Canadian Government in November of 1914. This time the order was for 150 wagons to be sent with the 2nd Contingent of soldiers, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF). During the same time period, J.J. Carrick (Member of Parliament) while overseas in England and upon Port Arthur Mayor John Albert Oliver’s request, attempted to secure orders from the British and French governments for the wagon company.
In October 1915, the Port Arthur News Chronicle informed readers that the Department of the Militia placed an order to the company asking for 54 additional wagons. The newspaper also stated that with this order, Port Arthur Wagon Works would produce a total of 400 wagons manufactured for the Canadian Militia Department.
Unfortunately nearing the end of the war, the wagon manufacturer went out of business and the Port Arthur News Chronicle reported that it was to be closed indefinitely in July, 1918. That same year in October the company was in liquidation.